Monday, April 1, 2013

Sometimes, being Jesus means keeping our mouths shut.


For our Good Friday service at church last week, we viewed the Passion of the Christ film. It was only the second time I had seen it since it was released, and yet it was no less powerful for me. As we were watching it, I could not help but notice how much Jesus did not say. He never stood up for Himself; He never fought for justice because what was being done to Him was unjust. Instead, He went willingly to His own death and persecution.
It was during that time that the Supreme Court began proceedings on deciding whether or not to allow homosexual marriage. I have friends on both sides of this issue, and please realize that I am not starting a debate about it on my blog. What I am trying to point out in mentioning this is that as Christians, we have made standing up for our opinions and biblical beliefs more important than the people we are trying to help spread the Gospel to. I am guilty of this. For most of my life, I have attempted to prove myself right about issues and topics that were not altogether that important. I used to think it was very important to be right about things, and that everything was either black or white.
But through one particular relationship I had that quickly blew up in my face, I realized that sometimes it is less important to be right, and more important to love. You see, Jesus didn't tell us to “Go into the world and prove God’s moral issues.” God doesn't ask us to “Go, and teach other people how to prove their morality.” Both of these things sound ridiculous when I state them that way, but really, that is what we are trying to do. Glenn Packiam points out in his book, Secondhand Jesus, that “First, we cannot curse the darkness for being dark. Sinning is all a sinner knows to do, or is able to do. It does no good for the church to beg the world-or berate the world or beat the world or legislate the world-into better behavior. Sin is the best they can ever do.” This does not mean that we cannot attempt to vote for our morals and beliefs. It does mean that we cannot force other people to be or do what we want them to be or do. We cannot make people live morally.
Sometimes, being Jesus means keeping our mouths shut. It is learning to know when and where we share our thoughts and beliefs, and this does not mean that we are compromising those beliefs. It just means that we want to share who we are in Christ, we choose to share His love, more than we choose to share our interpretations of the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment