Thursday, January 3, 2013

Are People Clutter?


I am a Christian, and I am friends with a lot of Christians, and I also spend time on Facebook because it is how I keep up with said friends who do not live near me. I now live in a town where I know about five people, and Facebook helps me stay connected to past relationships. I love this, but lately I have noticed more than a couple of them with status updates like, “Just cleaned out my friends list,” or “Time to de-clutter my friends list on Facebook.”

Every time I read a status like this, it bugged me a little bit, but I could not figure out why. It has never occurred to me to “de-clutter” my Facebook. If I get tired of someone’s posts, I just select not seeing them on my news feed. It takes all of five seconds to do this, and it is super easy. So it seems weird to me that good people, people I love and want to keep up with even though some of them live outside the country, would choose to “de-clutter” their friend’s lists.
Since when did it become okay to refer to people as clutter? It is difficult for me to understand why someone who loves the Lord, wants to live a godly life, would call people, clutter.

I suppose my perspective is different than most. You never know who on your friends list is seeing your status update. I have a friend from high school who I had not talked to since graduation in 2000, but we were friends on FB. We did not really talk on Facebook, either, but one day out of the blue moon I received a message from her saying how much my posts have helped her see Jesus on hard days. This is no small thing to me, and I feel that God can use a random status update to brighten the day of someone I have not spoken to in over 12 years.

What does it say to a non-Christian person about who we are as Christians, when we refer to others as clutter?

And would anyone end a relationship in real life, telling the other person that they just need to downsize their life? It seems outright ridiculous when put into those terms.
I have recently been “de-cluttered” from someone I thought was a friend. This kind of thing comes off as incredibly hurtful for the person that has been un-friended, especially when that person thinks the relationship is on good terms.

As Christians, we need to think about the footprint we are leaving online, as well as in person, so that our actions reflect the life and love of Christ in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment