Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I work out!


In January of this year I decided to seriously start working on my weight. I was the heaviest I had ever been in my life, and with at least four Aunts or cousins who have had gastric bypass surgery, I envisioned myself going down a very bad road that I did not want to travel. We joined the gym, and I began working out.
I fell in love with Zumba and yoga, and started lifting weights at least twice a week. I started keeping track of how much I ate, and became more aware of portion sizes. I found out that I really tend to want healthy food… I love salads, cilantro, green pepper, onion, tomato, zucchini,  squash, water melon… to list a few. When eating out, I stay away from fried foods (I splurge on fried chicken from time to time, but very few and far between), and do not really like potato chips and other junk food that is the downfall of most people. My weaknesses are ice cream (which I bought for the first time this summer, yesterday) and homemade baked goods (which I do not bake very often).
I was pleasantly surprised to find that I do not eat very badly. So, why am I so heavy? Why have I only lost about ten pounds so far?

I am so tempted to join a shake club or take a weight loss pill just to lose it all as quickly as possible, but from what I read that is the least likely way to take weight off and keep it off. To take the weight off permanently, I must exercise regularly and change my eating habits permanently. I would like to have huge results in a short period of time, and every time I go to the gym without losing pounds of weight I want to walk away and do whatever I can to lose it. But: I know that persistence and patience will pay off. It may take longer, it may hurt more, and I might have to put aside my own competitive nature to do things quickly, but it will be done.

Yet, in the meantime, I am going to stop doing the following:
1.     Talk bad about myself or my body. Regardless of what I weigh, God is still good, I am still His Creation, and I will hold my head high and walk with confidence in who God made me to be.
2.     Not compare myself to others who may be losing it more quickly than I am. My journey is my own with God, and it does no good to expect the same results as the person next to me.

I would also like to point out that I want to be strong, not skinny. Healthy; not thin. I want muscle. I want to feel like I can run, play, hike, swim, and move without hurting myself. I have learned that I love working out! I like the way it feels when my lungs are burning, thighs are stinging, and sweat is dripping from my brow. I like feeling strong! I also enjoy having energy on a daily basis, and having an overall feeling of body awareness that I had lost in the last 9 years of having four children.
It might take me longer, but I am patient. 

No comments:

Post a Comment